1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To catch a comet... by accident.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zathrus, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Zathrus

Zathrus Vindicator Member

Hello all,

I am trying to learn how to take star shots with my DSLR... and for that I had to obtain a 50mm lens for it.
    I just got the lens, and went out the other night to try it out. Again I am just learning about this type of photography but I wanted to see how this lens did with my basic skills.

I swung the tripod northeast and saw the Pleiades star cluster and took this shot.
    [​IMG]

I began slowly rotating the camera north taking pictures as I went and was stunned to see this picture appear
    [​IMG]
    You might notice what appears to be a comet left of center. Below is zoomed in on what I was certain is a comet.
    [​IMG]
    That is certainly a comet... after some research I was able to figure out this is Comet ASASSN1

If I can get some additional clear nights, I am going to try and capture this comet a bit better.

If there are any star gazers out there looking for a resource that can tell them what they are looking at I have discovered an excellent website that has tons of data complete with an online planetarium that allows you to adjust it to where you are on the planet here: https://theskylive.com/planetarium

TheBTron likes this.