1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC plans.

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by psycho, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Sylak

Sylak Vindicator Member

You could probably find 4th gen intel, like 4700K, they are still doing fine. I mean, even my Fx8350 as far a gaming CPU goes it perfectly able to work with modern game, it's more my 670gtx that begin to show is limitation because it's now nearing 5 years old.

2. Aakek

Aakek Galactic Overlord
    Bishop Contributer

Speaking of SSD's :) I want to give a shout out for the Samsung PRO series. 14.5TB written and still a very healthy drive.

Sylak and TheBTron like this.
  3. Sylak

Sylak Vindicator Member

My mushkin chronos deluxe is now 4 years old. I don't have the TB count, but is also doing pretty well. I "ssd die fast" scare is not as relevent as it was before ( of course there's life expectency difference between SLC, DLC of TLC but still a lot better now).

4. psycho

psycho Vindicator Member
    Chaplain

Talking SSDs now... For a budget build would it be worth it to buy a smaller SSD to install the OS and a few programs and format and reuse my old HDD for pics/music/games where loading times don't bother me?

I'm partway through the parts acquiring stage and have most of the expensive stuff bought. Still need to sort out RAM, storage, and the other odds and ends. I also need to get at least one new monitor since dual DVI outputs are less common now on GPUs and both of my old monitors lack an HDMI input. I'm also going to get a new case since at this point it would be nice to keep the old PC as a spare for the short term.

5. TheBTron

TheBTron Vindicator Member
    Priest

I just bought a 500 gig SSD but still have not put it in, all my games are on mechanical drives.

Sylak likes this.
  6. Zathrus

Zathrus Vindicator Member

^^^^ I second the Kudos to Samsung PRO SSD's
    Here is mine below showing after more than 14 terabytes written still healthy. I keep my OS, Video editing software and games on this drive.
    [​IMG]

Yes Psycho I think it is smart to go with a smaller SSD.

I went with a 250 gig Samsung 840 PRO for my Operating system, games and stuff. Really you could get by with a 125 gig... but I prefer having a little space. You can see I am using a lot of extra space right now... picture processing has a tendency to do that.

I have 1.6 terabytes of mechanical drive storage in my PC and a 4 terabyte external storage drive.
    Keep most of your stuff on cheaper large good quality storage drives. I have had good luck with Western Digital Caviar Black edition drives.
    Originally they were my main drives but I converted them to storage... some are more than 5 years old and apparently still healthy.

The Caviar black editions are fairly fast for mechanical drives... but painfully slow compared to that Samsung SSD.

You really only need things you want loading fast on the SSD.... so it does not need to be huge. That helps keep SSD cost low relative the entire system.

7. Zathrus

Just to add, right now at Newegg:

This should be a good drive, there it is $137 but when you put in the current email promo code for it in my shopping cart it ends up $125.
    50 cents a gig is not bad in an SSD of this quality. 256 gigs should be enough for what you need.

Personally I was happy to see Samsung start making SSD's because many of the higher quality SSD's and other high quality computer components use samsung memory chips in their ram.

SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE256BW https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147360&ignorebbr=1

8. psycho

psycho Vindicator Member
    Chaplain

So I finally got everything ordered and delivered. Should start putting things together later this week or next week. Should be a nice upgrade over my current 7 year old build (Phenom X4 2.8GHz, Radeon HD5850, 8GB DDR3)

Here's the parts list:

I also had to get a new monitor with HDMI since dual DVI inputs aren't a thing anymore (I run a dual setup) and using the new one on my old PC at 1080p I see a noticeable difference vs my old primary running at 1680x1050 (now my 2nd). I did end up sticking with AMD for the CPU/GPU since I've had good luck with them in all my past builds and the RX580 was right around the price point I usually go for with GFX cards. I also ended up not re-using any of my old parts so that I can either give my old PC away or keep it as a spare for whatever reason. As a result I did go a little over budget at about $1275 since I needed a new monitor and did go a bit higher on some things but was close enough plus I spread the buying out over several months.

Sylak likes this.
  9. Zathrus

That system should serve you well.
    Also Psycho, if you think about it, $1275 for a current hardware gaming rig that will NOT be overtaxed by any of the latest games is a very good price. Your new system should run about anything out there.... including Star Citizen

Typically gaming rigs I have built over the years have ranged between $1200 and $1900 in parts alone.
    So I think you have done well.

10. TheBTron

TheBTron Vindicator Member
    Priest

Looks like a good build! I may go AMD this fall, thinking about getting a 1700.

11. Zathrus

Yes, I was a huge AMD fan back in the early 2000's.

These new AMD's look promising, but it will be a year or so before game code, etc. is optimized for it's architecture.
    As powerful as they are... Current tests show it does not phase them much that things are not optimized yet... They do perform up with high end intel's.

It will be interesting to see what that processor can accomplish when things are actually optimized to capitalize on it's architecture.

TheBTron likes this.
  12. Zathrus

by the way Psycho... I see you have purchased a wifi adapter.

Are you running your gaming rig through wireless or hard internet connection?
    For multiplayer games, I prefer hard connections as there is usually less latency, etc.
    wifi is getting better and better.... but I just cannot get myself to use wifi for my gaming rig... nope.

IF.... you see gaming issues with this new rig on wireless, try it with a hard connection and see if that makes a difference for you.

13. psycho

psycho Vindicator Member
    Chaplain

I would prefer a hard line but I have been using WiFi for several years now out of necessity with few problems thankfully.

14. Sylak

Sylak Vindicator Member

Good choice! If you stick with AMD they plan to keep their behaviour of using the same socket of 3-4 generations of CPU ( as they did with AM3 AM3+ socket, like mine).So, in 2-3 years would be able to just upgrade only your CPU without having to swap Motherboard Like with Intel.
    I prefer Nvidia Card( yes I'm a hybrid, AMD for CPU and nvidia for GPU), but right now AMD video card have better performance for the price. They do use more power but still are great cards. No hardware is bad in My opinion. it's only bad if you haven't selected the right hardware for you usage.

I was planning to change PC, but no bidget I did buy a GTX1060, so I did upgraded a little. Have fun building that!

15. Aakek

Aakek Galactic Overlord
    Bishop Contributer

I need to think about a new rig sometime but my last build has held up well (oddly still much better than what many people play with) for the last 5 years or so :)

16. Zathrus

You know I have exactly the same problem! :) I am not going to complain.... I built this system in 2012. It is an old i7 2600K on an Asus Maximus Extreme mobo, combined with 16 gigs of DDR3 and an HD7970-OC. This system has continued to show staying power in about all games I have played... although star citizen may prove too much for the 7970... not sure yet. But it consistently achieves frame rates as good as or better than brand new systems.

... so no reason to build a new one yet....:D

17. Sylak

Sylak Vindicator Member

Same here, I upgraded my Phenom X4 965 BE for a Fx-8350 in 2014 Plus new set of 2 X 8Gb of ram to replace 2X4gb and this spring a 1060gtx. So yeah my CPu is not up to part to today machine, but the 16GB and 1060 and SSD make it perform the same as newer harder with same specs, the 8 Core is enough for the gaming and application I run. I wanted to fully change rig this years ( my PC case is a older antec 902, solid build quality, good air flow but lack space and modern feature). But After the 1060 upgrade I realize I get a years out of it and I will get a Ryzen Rig next year. The only thing that is still original is the Mobo, sound card and case. I had to change my 6 years PSU.