1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechwarrior Online, on Steam now!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TheBTron, Dec 20, 2015.

1. TheBTron

TheBTron Vindicator Member
    Priest

Mechwarrior Online is on Steam now, if anyone has not tried it, It's free to play. It's not perfect but the best Mech (BattleTech) game right now. If only EA brought back MPBT 3025!

My username is PalinRMA in game and I play for House Marik.

2. Sylak

Sylak Vindicator Member

Better than hawken? I try that game as a beta, Liked it a lot, but PS2 took over.

3. Aakek

Aakek Galactic Overlord
    Bishop Contributer

/kick Sylak ;)

Sylak likes this.
  4. Vindicore

Vindicore Administrator
    Bishop Contributer

I may have to dust this one off and have a go.

TheBTron likes this.
  5. Sylak

Sylak Vindicator Member

HAHAHA, That's a sensible subject ? Hawkan was nice, but I haven't play it since it became a real game, play it in beta. So I don't know what it became, But yeah Mech warrior online seem super nice, and free. Might give it a go, I be on vacation from Wednesday until the 20 of January, and it seem Snowboarding won,t happen this winter. I'll have time to play more hehe

TheBTron likes this.
  6. TheBTron

Priest

Hawken = arcade mech game. MWO Mech simm, a lot more thinking and tactics. I play with some friends on the House Marik TS last night, good time, like PS2 it's lot better playing with a team, solo not as fun.

7. Sylak

Sylak Vindicator Member

I got it, I just did the tutorial. My tank experience with WOT help with the handeling of the mech, really similar. But still hard because the view is from inside ( in wot you ouside so you can more easier predict were you are going) But using F and C really help. I have to set up the weapons on my mouse, because pressing 1 to 6 is not efficient.

By the way on MWO I'm, you guest it, Sylak.
    yeah, hawken was ore like fast pace, small map, like a "call of duty" but for mech. MWO is more PS2... with Mech.. or giant big ass Maxes lol

8. Aakek

Aakek Galactic Overlord
    Bishop Contributer

There is a 3rd person view in MWO but honestly its bad to use. Use weapon groups for firing weapons and check keybinds for the keys to assign.

It is similar in some aspects to WoT in regards to damaging as well. Each section has its own armor/structure.

There are a variety of play styles available which are not immediately apparent until you get into customizing mechs.

Teamwork wins RMA kicking butt
    [​IMG]

I am the Hammer of God
    [​IMG]

lol can't find my Battlemaster LRM match where I scored 11 kills 1 assist but here is another.
    [​IMG]

And just for BTron
    RMA vs Desert Rats Marik House War
    [​IMG]

#8 Aakek, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  9. Aakek

Aakek Galactic Overlord
    Bishop Contributer

Side note these are all Pre Clan invasion and many things have changed in the past year.

My 'Hammer of God' score was achieved with my dual LBX10 Jagermech (Think Dual Shotguns) and an intimate knowledge of mechs (and variants). While it is still a solid build, it suffers some today due to the built in CASE and Clan XL engines when facing against Clan mechs.

LRM boating is far easier to achieve with teammates who support you with spotting and lighting up targets covered by ecm (either with UAV, Tag, or counter ecm). Getting hit with 60+ missiles every few seconds is scary.

When I solo drop is usually when I lose my faith in humanity :)

10. TheBTron

Priest

LOL some old screen shots, yes you need to map your weapon key binding my range, first I put my long range weapons on one, second, and third, medium, and then my alpha strike with everything. There are go many play styles, it's endless and learning each Mechs weak points is keys. It's a hard game, even for me and I have been playing since the 90's. My fav Mech is the classic C-1 Cat missile boat.

The poor view is suppose to make the game more real, use your radar to track targets. Third party view was dumbed down, people freak out when they added it.

#10 TheBTron, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  11. Aakek

Aakek Galactic Overlord
    Bishop Contributer

Exported a couple of cuts from my twitch stream so will post those later.

12. Aakek

Aakek Galactic Overlord
    Bishop Contributer

Here are the Videos

TheBTron likes this.
  13. Sylak

Sylak Vindicator Member

It Wot, each tank had weak spot specific to them, but You could have general rule ( german tank lower front plate Gun moun is always a hard part Gaz tank are weak spot etc), But this is harder, And there's not much info on what each Mech does in the tutorials. I guess I need to look for online ressource.

Also in WOT the Zoom was a lot more "zooming" and easier to be very accurate with you aim.. Aiming is harder than it look in MWO. I'm just doing the tutorial and training Acad for now, So I can at least basic aiming skill. But yeah I will probably suck bad in my first games.

Thank for the tips about weapons groups. That really complicated, I also don,t know what all weapons does. Freaking complex game indeed.

14. Aakek

Aakek Galactic Overlord
    Bishop Contributer

Its not exactly like the weak spot in WoT. It varies by Mech Variant and even build even. What you are piloting can even matter.

There is an advanced zoom module which can be equipped on mechs though to be honest it of little use. Movement is your friend including twisting to spread damage.

Normal Lasers are damage over time weapons. Pulse lasers are damage over time but a much shorter duration.

PPC and Normal Autocannons are generally direct damage though it can be spread over more than one location depending on your hit. Normal PPC has a minimum range of 90? if memory is not failing me. ER PPC does not have this limit though it has higher heat and longer range.

Short Range Missiles (SRM) are a directly volley like a shotgun. Artemis can tighten the spread pattern.

Long Range Missiles (LRM) are arc volley with direct or indirect fire (automatic). Artemis tightens the spread but they tend to be distributed more. Direct Fire means you have line of sight to the target and they will generally be more effective. A good LRM boat can rock the damage charts but it generally takes more damage to take down a foe than more directed weapons.

LBX Autocannon is a 'shotgun style' version of the normal autocannons. Instead of one large shell it fires a pellet group.

Gauss is a direct fire weapon with a short charge time. You charge it up then release the shot within a certain time.

Always lock targets that are visible to you with your R key (default). This shares your targeting information with teammates as well as giving you , after a short period of time, detailed information regarding the mech you have targeted such as their weapons and armor status.

"Cored" means their center torso armor is down leaving them vulnerable.

Inner Sphere Mechs (IS) with XL engines will die if a side torso is destroyed. Clan Mechs will die if both torso's die if I remember (they have special rules).

If you join House Marik, you can only use IS mechs in Faction Warfare. You can use Clan mechs in Quick Play but depending on time/money it is not something that I advise spending too much of your cbills on.

ECM can hide mechs from being directly targeted within its 'ecm bubble'. It can be countered with ECM in counter mode, Tag laser (not always efficient), Range, NARC beacons, and UAV consummable.

Basic types of role warfare can be 'Normal', Brawler (All short range weapons for close work), Support (ECM/ECCM/Etc), Scout, Sniper (High damage long range build ER large laser/ER PPC/Gauss), and LRM Boat. IMO Sniper particularly today on most maps is the least effective build except perhaps in team play with a very aware pilot.

Puuh i could go on for hours!

TheBTron likes this.
  15. Sylak

Sylak Vindicator Member

well In wot weak spots varies from tank to tank, and from upgrades to and by a lot sometimes, but you can take guesses, like most german have weak lower front plate, american have turret and gun mantle really think ( so Americans are good at "hull down" tactic etc.

Anyway Thank for the tips, Yeah, I already got the targeting right :) Er PPC are really cool. But unlike a tank, you can't really hide you main body. only if the Mech has weapon "on the head". Most of the Mech that are on trail and that you can try at the academy ( That's a awesome features, I like that you can do that ) can't fire if you are not nearly fully expose. Because most weapons are on the side of the torso or on the arms. A tank you can hide your body and having only the turret and mantle of the gun expose, and in some tank, it make them really hard to kill ) like American, I remember holding and kill 5 enemies because I had a good hull down position with my T29). Also, In a lower armoured tank but with round plate and angular armour, if you angle your body right, even shots that should penetrate, you can bounce them, there a rt to how to place you body. But you mech is... well, it's a brick with Brick like legs no angle there and no bouncing mechanic it seems ( well laser don't count lol). At least you can hide your legs and walk back and forth from behind a cover timing it with the cool down, that's also a tactic that worked In WOT. and "facing" your enemies with your "thin" side ( in a tank that being at a angle or depending of your front armour face directly at it, In this like you said, is being on your side. Both game are more similar than your think. ( except for the crappy detection on wot where tank vanished into thin air).

Of course in academy you are the only one, so all bot aim at you at the same time, they suck, but still since they are fast to spot you, it's still a good training on how to approach them.

Also the aiming as a special behavior, if you move too fast, your torso will over shoot a little. It's a little bit like in Star citizen, your torso has velocity and inertia, so It won't stop instantaneously going in the direction it's moving and stop where your mouse is aiming, That a bitch sometimes, but I think it's really cool and realistic, it make you develop aiming tactic and skill different from FPS like PS2. And like in a tank, some torso ( or turret) are faster than other. ( but unlike a tank, no 360!).

Now I have to learn more about weapons.

16. Aakek

Aakek Galactic Overlord
    Bishop Contributer

I know what you mean but let me use mechs as examples.

Most centurions and hunchbacks (the except being some variants like cent 9ah or 4sp hunch) are vulnerable in the right torso or arm. This is where most of their damage is located.

Which is where we get into other terms for mechs. A stick is a mech stripped of all weapons.

A zombie is mech capable of fighting till you take the head or center torso. Centurion 9a? Is. A classic zombie. It uses the left side as a shield to soak damage then twists to bring the right to fire. The finishing touch is it has 2 medium lasers in center torso so it never becomes a stick.

In the academy there are good trials after you complete basic. The guard your center torso one is a good one.

Jump in ts and can get you sorted with house marik

Sylak likes this.
  17. Vindicore

Vindicore Administrator
    Bishop Contributer

Great info Aakek, I'm going to have to fire up the game again.