1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lake Havasu AZ has some recent British History

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zathrus, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Zathrus

Zathrus Vindicator Member

Hello all, I took a short vacation up to Lake Havasu for a three night stay which is located in NW Arizona along the California border. Lake Havasu is the smallest of the three reservoirs on the Colorado River but it is enormous.

Of potential interest to our British members; Lake Havasu is where the "London Bridge" crossing the Thames river in London ended up when London decided to replace it in 1967. Robert McCulloch (an oil tycoon) bought it at auction for something like $2.4 million, had each brick numbered... sent to Lake Havasu and re-assembled.
    It is the bridge at lake Havasu that connects the mainland to the only large island in Lake Havasu.
    [​IMG]
    You have to enlarge it to see, but they run alternating British/American flags on the bridge to honor it's origin.

They also imported some of the small monuments, telephone booths, old street lights, etc. that were near or on the bridge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There are several of the old red telephone booths around the area.

[​IMG]
    I found it interesting.. there are numerous shops and several very good restaurants around the bridge.

If you enjoy boating... it is extremely nice place. The lake is large enough to accommodate even large 40+ foot offshore racing hulls... of which there were several. I saw everything on the water from canoes to 42 foot Fountain off shore racing boats with 2 to 3 large V8 engines in them.
    This panoramic shot is from our balcony at the hotel.
    [​IMG]
    The hotel we stayed at sits on a small bay, the main lake is not in view in the above photo... as I said initially... it is a large lake.
    We found it an area that has tons of different things to do.. and very relaxing... although lake Havasu can be insane during the summer and spring break... similar to many of the coastal communities during spring breaks... they fill up with college students bent on releasing some steam and having fun... it's big party.

But it also a very relaxing place. I took the shot below at sunrise.
    [​IMG]

TheBTron likes this.
  2. psycho

psycho Vindicator Member
    Chaplain

Very nice!

3. Zathrus

Zathrus Vindicator Member

To give better reference for the size of these reservoirs the last two pictures are taken from my hotel room balcony looking across "Thompson Bay"

Here is a satellite image of Thompson Bay withe the "Nautical Beach Resort" (my hotel) marked.
    [​IMG]

The satellite image below is about 85% of lake Havasu (it continues a bit north and south)

[​IMG]

As you can see it is good sized... and this is the smallest of the three large reservoirs on the Colorado River.