1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jackie's Roller Derby Schedule!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by JacquelynHeat, Apr 10, 2013.

1. JacquelynHeat

JacquelynHeat Vindicator Member

A few Vindies have expressed interest in seeing some Roller Derby, so here's a schedule of upcoming events where you'll find me involved. I'll try to remember to update it periodically:

October 11th (Friday) - FUNdraiser @ Brandywine Roller Girls (Downingtown, PA)
    Come join us for a BRG fundraiser to help cover costs for our travel bouts in VA and NC! Bring the whole family! Coloring Contest for the kiddos, Silent Auction for the grown-ups! Get on skates if that's your thing, or just hang out and enjoy the rinkside merriment!
    Jackie's involvement: Like all league members present, I'll be helping run the event whenever needed, and otherwise I'll be on skates hanging out with everyone, both on and off the rink.
    Notes: $5.00 admission, skate rental included
    Event Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/441273182654661/

November 2nd (Saturday) - Double Header @ River City Roller Girls (Richmond, VA)
    Bout 1) Brandywine Brawlers (our B-team) vs RCR Uncivil Warriors
    Bout 2) Brandywine Belligerents (our A-team) vs RCR Poe's Punishers
    Jackie's involvement: I'll be playing on the Brawlers roster against the Uncivil Warriors (first bout of the night, 5:00 PM). Then join me and my Brandywine sisters to cheer on our Belligerents in the second bout!
    Notes: BRG has advanced by leaps and bounds in the past year. This away bout marks the beginning of a bright future, traveling far and wide to play teams across the country. If you've been waiting to see your Vindicators roller derby chapter (i.e. me) in action, you may yet get the chance!
    Event Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/571194079611020/
    Tickets:http://rivercityrollergirls.ticketleap.com/rivercity-vs-brandywine-a--b/

November 23rd (Saturday)
    - Double Header @ Carolina Rollergirls
    (Raleigh, NC)
    Bout 1) Brandywine Brawlers (our B-team) vs Carolina Bootleggers
    Bout 2) Brandywine Belligerents (our A-team) vs Carolina Allstars
    Jackie's involvement: I'll be playing on the Brawlers roster against the Bootleggers (first bout - 3:00 PM). Then join me and my Brandywine sisters to cheer on our Belligerents in the second bout!
    Notes: This will be BRG's furthest away bout yet! Carolina is a highly-ranked league. They've made it to Eastern Division playoffs numerous times and battled some of the titans of the sport. This is going to be a serious challenge!
    Event Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/167031020154785/
    Tickets:http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/performanceSearch.jsp?performance_id=1685490

#1 JacquelynHeat, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. Footjam

Footjam High on the Mountain
    Contributer

Is it ok to bring my own batteries to throw at the players? That is a philly tradition right?

3. JacquelynHeat

While that *is* a philly tradition, it's generally reserved for occasions when the thrower's sentiment is supported by the vast majority of people present. Rogue battery throwers are almost guaranteed to get "tuned the f**k up". So you throw at your own risk. Just FYI ;)

4. Cheekyswimr

Cheekyswimr Member

i'm coming this saturday for sure since it's on campus and i can walk there! the others are harder for me to get to

5. JacquelynHeat

6. Cheekyswimr

Cheekyswimr Member

7. JacquelynHeat

Llwyd asked how many miles I skate during a practice session. I didn't know, so I did a little math and worked out that we WARM UP by skating ~2.4 miles. That accounts for like the first 10-15 minutes of practice. Then we stretch and get into an assortment of drills and lessons that vary with each session, but invariably add up to many miles of skating over the course of 2-3 hours, while jumping/falling/hitting/juking/etc.

So there you go, Llwyd. I did the math as much to satisfy my own curiosity as yours, but figured I'd share.

8. JacquelynHeat

Original Post Updated

9. Cheekyswimr

Cheekyswimr Member

poop. im debating going home may 11 cause a friend is graduating and its mothers day weekend. but its like 70$ for a quick weekend trip home :mad:

10. Zehdd

Zehdd Vindicator Member

I've never seen Derby in person. It'd be a riot to see one live, where I actually knew one of the players. You'd have a built-in fanbase with me!

Pity I'm so dang far away...

11. Cheekyswimr

Cheekyswimr Member

you're missing out zehdd. they are tough. pretty intense

12. JacquelynHeat

OP updated!

Away bouts in Richmond, VA and Raleigh, NC!

13. Cheekyswimr

Cheekyswimr Member

But I'm not in Virginia anymore! >: (