1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if this is real.... WOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zathrus, May 25, 2017.

1. Zathrus

Zathrus Vindicator Member

Ok, there is a lot of discussion on the internet on whether this Jetpack/hoverboard hybrid is real or a hoax.

Some are screaming hoax... others claim to have seen him fly it first hand....

If this is real, this guy has created something amazing.. although it is EXTREMELY LOUD.
    He is going to have to figure out how to baffle the sound this thing makes to get it legal.
    He has apparently been banned from flying by police on at least one occasion from what I have read.

Again... is this an internet created hoax? or has this guy figured something out?
    The video below is convincing... but.... I dunno as many times when something appears too good to be true... it is.

TheBTron likes this.
  2. psycho

psycho Vindicator Member
    Chaplain

Cell phone camera of course so that always makes me wonder but the water spraying underneath looks convincing, at least when he is close. I'm guessing he's using some sort of small jet engines like you might see on large scale RC planes? Really cool video if real.

3. Sean_353

Sean_353 Vindicator Member
    Chaplain

Spectators at 1:58 seem more engrossed by the boats, my guess is because the Goblin is in fact not hovering above them. Still, excellent editing if it's fake, and if it is real, I am very curious to know more.

4. Sean_353

Chaplain

5. Zathrus

I can tell you this... in the early 1980's "Williams Turbine" built a jet powered hover platform that the military was very very interested in.
    Unfortunately, this hover platform could only carry one person and it used a very expensive turbine engine that was about 24 inches long and 9 inches in diameter.

If with this, they have created a hover platform that does not require a $500K mini jet engine.... he has probably created something they will be interested in again.

6. Sean_353

Chaplain

Well, you have to wear a backpack full of kerosene, making you a flying explosive. So it would require a great deal of modification before the military put its hands on it.

7. Zathrus

no.. this would not deter the military. That is a fairly simple solution with an aircraft grade bladder for fuel. These are self sealing if punctured.
    The military has no problem strapping something explosive to the back of a soldier... we do it every day with rockets, ammunition packs , etc.

Ideally, the military would interested in something like this for their special forces. That is who was approaching Williams Research back in the 1980's. For them, he is going to have to figure out how to baffle the sound without destroying performance. That may or may not be possible.

Honestly, if it were quieter, our special forces being able to put a fairly light backpack of Jet fuel on their back, step onto a platform and fly at 70 to 90 mph for 10 minutes would be the fast strike force from hell coming at you from every direction.

They would be very difficult to hit even if you saw them... and being special forces you would not likely see them until their bullets were hitting their targets. Sound reduction will be the key to special forces wanting to use this.

It will also be the key to him being able to legally sell them. Apparently he has already been arrested once for extreme noise and told he could not fly it anymore. He now does it intermittently with special permits apparently.

It appears in the video to me this platform is producing sound over 100 decibels... which is totally unacceptable.
    Even a loud large truck is only about 80 decibels... a large truck "engine brake" with no mufflers can hit 105+ decibels and is clearly heard more than 5 miles away...

So he has significant work to do with sound reduction.

#7 Zathrus, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  8. TheBTron

TheBTron Vindicator Member
    Priest

I want one!

9. Zathrus

Well yes... and so do I :cool:... he is apparently testing this thing at "Lake Havasu" Arizona... about a 3 hour drive from here..... sooooo tempting