1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An interesting test

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zathrus, May 18, 2017.

1. Zathrus

Zathrus Vindicator Member

Posted Today, 07:50 AM

Well New Zealand decided to run a test that I have always wanted to run myself.

To illustrate the improvements in automobile safety features, they have taken a 1998 Toyota Corolla and crashed it into a 2015 Toyota Corolla.
    The result? predictable yet eye opening. The 1998 driver would have probably died, the 2015 driver would have certainly walked away.

2. TheBTron

TheBTron Vindicator Member
    Priest

Another good one!

Zathrus likes this.
  3. Zathrus

Zathrus Vindicator Member

yes.

While the results of these tests are very predictable, seeing the results is quite impressive I think.
    Honestly I have wondered why they stopped using crash testing video in safety ads like they used to. They still have them, but they seem far more rare than say 20 years ago.

I remember long ago they began using crash tests they ran demonstrating the differences in what happens to a vehicle occupant when wearing a lap/shoulder harness safety belt verses not wearing a seat belt at all. I think those videos they showed several times a day on TV saved many lives. Seeing what happens... can make an impression upon you.

When you work in the automotive industry where you are seeing these crash videos as they are done on a near continuous basis... getting into a car without wearing a seat belt becomes nearly impossible.... you feel naked and exposed.

I have noticed they are starting to use this tactic of visually showing the horrific results of the wrong decision in the "texting while driving" war.
    I think that is the right thing to do.

When you tell someone; "At 65mph you are traveling 95.3 feet per second, so if you look down at a text for 4 seconds you have driven more than
    the length of a football field totally blind" That statement will get to some... but for many if you want to drive that message home....
    show them ....

You can tell people stuff but if they cannot visualize what your telling them means... your message is falling on deaf ears.
    Showing them a video that graphically demonstrates what your saying... you have their complete attention and they understand.

TheBTron likes this.